Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Rabbit Fever

    Here in the last week of the season, I have decided to hunt rabbits. I had never really tried it being old enough to appreciate the hunt and after Monday, I decided I would give it another shot. Especially because the table fare matches up with the enjoyment of the hunt, unlike squirrels, which I have stopped hunting for the most part since it is so much work to make them taste halfway decent. Rabbit is great simply pan-fried!
     My little brother Ewing and I headed out to our neighbor's property after school to stomp around in some brush. Since I was the "designated brush stomper" last time, Ewing assumed that role and I got to be the shooter. We checked 3 or 4 piles before jumping the first rabbit, that passed by me going at light speed around 20 yards away, I raised the gun, got on target, and sent a nice pattern its way. The rabbit stopped in its tracks and expired before I got to it. We continued walking around but didn't get any more shots, I saw one at about 45 yards but with low brass #7.5s out of an improved cylinder choke, I decided to pass on the shot. Well I have to get around to cooking some rabbit, thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment