Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Turkey Season is Here

     Just wanted to make it known that I am still alive...Just not much hunting going on. But Spring Turkey Season is finally here! I hunted last Saturday (Youth Day), and I bet I heard 75 gobbles before birds left the roost, they are still in the process of breaking off from their big winter flocks. Once the birds hit the ground, they shut up and would only shock gobble on a crow that would caw 2-4 times in rapid succession, nothing else. I did a couple soft yelps every 10-20 minutes, for about an hour, and the birds never gobbled back at me, only back at crows. So I moved a couple hundred yards closer to where they were and got aggressive with the calling. I got 4 gobbles out of the flock, and then I "shut up" for a while, and waited. After 20 minutes of nothing, I called some more, and couldn't get any responses.
      Rather than try to set up again, I decided to sneak out instead of messing up a flock of turkeys on youth day, I have a whole season to figure it out, better safe than sorry. I will be headed back to the same property on Saturday to see if I can do a little better this time. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment