Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Jump Shooting Geese

       We hunted a pond this morning with no luck bringing the birds to decoys, so when we saw one of the ponds on our way home was loaded with around 500 birds, we quickly initiated a jump shoot. Wyatt was the "driver" and pushed the birds over Ewing, my friend Jackson, and I. He killed 4 when he walked up on the dam and shot as the birds got up, killing 3 with the first shot, one with the second shot, and missing because they were too far away by the third shot. We were hunkered down behind a hill when he pushed the birds directly over us, and we all unloaded our guns and put 4 more on the ground. We should have done better, but Jackson is fairly new to wingshooting, this being his 3rd hunt when he got to pull the trigger on geese, and one of those days was when I hunted with him in 30mph winds and we couldn't hit the birds at all, so that was probably the worst thing I could do for his wingshooting "perception". And also, Ewing was shooting 20 gauge #3s, pretty lightweight stuff for pass shooting geese at 30 yards. But if we would've bagged our 12 birds, I might still be out there cleaning them.... Thanks for reading!
 
Might I add that I was throwing 3&1/2 inches of BANG at them (size BB shot), brought down a huge resident and he/she never twitched... Always wondered how to tell if I'm killing ganders (males) or whatever a "hen" goose is called...  

No comments:

Post a Comment