Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Rose Hauling Groundhog Hunt

   My dad works for Rose Hauling (mulch, topsoil, rock, etc.) and we hunt on the property very often. We deer hunt, spring turkey hunt, goose hunt (one of the best goose hunting spots in VA), and rabbit hunt. Recently, the groundhogs have been getting into some of the gardens they have out there. I took it upon myself to try and take out a couple with my .22, even though there had been plenty removed by the workers via .22 magnum and .22 hornet. On the first day I hunted, I was only able to see one groundhog, but that was ok because he had burrowed only 30 yards away from one of the gardens and had been a serious problem. I sat down about 10 yards from the hole (only way to do it with tall grass), put down my bipod, and dialed in my scope. It was over as soon as he popped his head up. He was in pretty rough shape, to the point where I'm not going to post a picture of him. He had pretty much lost all of his hair and looked absolutely awful. The next day, I went out again and found one on the edge of a field feeding in some short grass. I stalked towards him until I was around 70 yards away and put my bipod down. Once again, it was lights out and I disposed of this one after getting some hide and the tail for fly tying, since this one was in much better shape. Dove season is just around the corner, so stay tuned, thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment