Monday, December 31, 2012

Limit of Ducks on the North Fork of the Rivanna

      This morning, my brother and I went for a goose hunt on a river bottom field to try and pull a few birds from their normal flyway and bring them into our dozen decoys. Despite our attempts, the most we got was 4 geese to circle a couple of times, but I guarantee we saw 500 geese... Hurts to watch bunches of geese fly straight over your decoys into a pond you can't hunt... We thought we heard some puddle duck noises behind us on the river, so we got up and walked to the river bank. When I reached the top of the bank, I looked down and saw two ducks about to get up around 25 yards away, I am a sportsman, but if I am jump shooting, especially on the North Fork (where I had never killed a duck before) , I plan on killing ducks, a jump can only be so sporty. So when I pulled the trigger on one of them, sending 3&1/2 inches of #2 steel shot intended for a honker flying his way, yes, he was still on the water, but guess what, he died, very quickly and humanely, the same way he would've died if he was flying. A couple pellets hit the other duck, but not enough to keep it on the water, and by now I had realized they were black ducks, so I couldn't shoot it, and Wyatt was having gun troubles in the brush and didn't get a shot on the bird. I retrieved my duck, a big pretty drake black duck, my one bird "limit" of "ducks" haha. Not a bad morning by central Virginia standards, a duck is quite a prize in this area. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment